This blog is one you really shouldn’t miss. It’s so wonderful to read. I’m republishing Marc and Angel’s “What Money Can’t Buy” blog, but please go to their website and read the Comments (and add more of your own!) There are some great additions to be found in the Comments to this post.
It reminds me of Sei Shonagon’s “The Pillow Book.” She was a court lady (and author) from around the year 1,000 (yes, really). Her book included collections of things that she found interesting when she was at court, including “Lists.” These include such lists as: “Things That Give A Clean Feeling” (an earthen cup. a new metal bowl. a rush mat. the play of the light on water as one pours it into a vessel. a new wooden chest) and “Things That Give an Unclean Feeling” (a rat’s nest. someone who is late in washing his hands in the morning. white snivel, and children who sniffle when they walk. the containers used for oil. little sparrows. a person who does not bathe for a long time even though the weather is hot. all faded clothes, especially those that have glossy colors) and ‘Squalid Things” (the back of a piece of embroidery. the inside of a cat’s ear. a swarm of mice, who still have no fur, when the come wriggling out of their nest. the seams of a fur robe that has not yet been lined).
What Money Can’t Buy
Posted: 26 Apr 2009 05:59 PM PDT
You aren’t wealthy until you have something money can’t buy.
– Garth Brooks
- A First Kiss from Someone Special – The sweet rush of butterflies in your tummy when you kiss someone special for the very first time.
- The Realization of True Love – The warm feeling you get many years after your first kiss when you realize you married the right person.
- Beauty – Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
- True Friendship – Through thick and thin, they stood by your side. They were there when you had nothing but them.
- Peace of Mind – It can only be acquired with an honest heart.
- Beginner’s Eyes – You’ll never see it again for the very first time.
- The Joy of Telling an Interesting True Story – One of the most enticing roles we lead in life is that of a storyteller. There are few things more satisfying than telling a true story that others enjoy listening to.
- Happiness – True happiness is achieved by doing what you love and being involved in something you believe in.
- Success – Success is simply excelling at doing what you love.
- A Single Moment of Time – Once it’s gone, it’s gone. Don’t miss it.
- A Baby’s Laughter – Babies don’t care about money. They care about kindness, love, and living in the moment.
- Surprise Encounters with Long-Lost Friends – You haven’t seen them in years, and you figured you’d probably never see them again. Then suddenly, there they are standing right in front of you.
- The Feeling of Self-Accomplishment – You set your sights on a specific goal and followed through until you achieved it. Now that’s something to celebrate.
- The Sound of Raindrops Outside – …as you snuggle up on the couch. Few sounds are more soothing.
- A Good, Genuine Conversation – Those moments of verbal bonding when the topic of conversation flows seamlessly and all parties involved gain as much as they put in.
- An Unexpected Compliment – It seems like just another dreary Monday afternoon, but then she walks into your office and says, “I love your shirt. That color looks great on you.”
- The Feeling You Get When Your Idea Works – You’ve been struggling to resolve a complex problem all day, but you just can’t seem to get it right. Filled with frustration, you decide to try one last idea before calling it a night. You’ve had many ideas before that failed miserably… but this time it works.
- Randomly Hearing Your Favorite Song – You’re stuck in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, so you crank on a radio station for a little distraction. The opening notes to your favorite song instantly chime in.
- Watching a Live Blooper Unfold in Front of You – As you walk alongside a friend, she trips over her own feet, wobbles erratically, regains her balance, and then tries to play it off like nothing happened. Hilarious!
- A Sunny Sunday Afternoon – The birds are chirping, a light breeze in blowing through your hair, and the sun’s rays are warming your cheeks.
- The Rush of Adolescent Love – Those magical moments of adolescent lust and affection that only you and one other person rightly remember.
- Being In The Right Place at The Right Time – You’re sitting in the nosebleed seats at a professional baseball game. The home team batter cranks a monstrous, game-winning home run. The ball bounces off another fan’s glove two seats in front of you and lands right in your lap.
- The Recollection of Great Childhood Memories – Do you remember the first time you learned to ride a bike? What about wrestling with your dad? Or climbing trees with your friends?
- Reminiscing About Old Times with Your Best Friend – Those crazy life experiences only the two of you lived through together. Like that wild 24 hour road trip to Atlanta, or that drunken night on the 3rd floor balcony of your college apartment.
- Passion – True wealth comes naturally to those who follow their hearts. You can’t pay someone to be emotionally passionate about something. Nor can you pay them to psychologically give-up on their passions.
- Objects of Sentimental Value – Old family photos, your great grandmother’s music box, that painting your baby brother made for you… some things are priceless.
- The Comfort of an Old Familiar Smell – You just pulled into your parent’s driveway after being away for a long while. You smell familiarity in the air, the scent of the pine tree in the neighbor’s yard. As you head through the front door, more familiar smells consume your senses. Gosh, it feels good to be home.
- The Hilarity of an Inside Joke – You’ll never get it unless you were there at its inception.
- Amazing Talents You Are Born With – Like the mind of a genius or the voice of an angel.
- The Excitement of Making Someone Else Smile – Because her smile makes you smile back.
- Exercising Your 5 Senses – Sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. Each provides a gateway to rewarding personal experiences.
- Sharing a Good Laugh with Friends and Family – Some of the most memorable moments in your life will be moments spent in laughter.
- The Warm Coziness of Your Own Bed – No bed is more comfortable than your own.
- Watching Wild Animals in Nature – Like a hawk gracefully soaring above the tree line, or a deer prancing across a grassy field.
- A Home – Money can buy a house, but not a home. Because home is where the heart is.
- Waking Up to the Smell of a Home Cooked Meal – You were still asleep, but someone special knew you’d be hungry soon.
- The Peaceful Sound of Absolute Silence – Shhhhh…
- Streams of Consciousness and Clarity – You’re ‘in the zone!’ Act while your mind is hot.
- The Sound of a Light Breeze Through the Trees – It’s the sound of Mother Nature all around you.
- The Captivating Experience of People Watching – The interesting (and sometimes foolish) things people do never ceases to please. You can’t buy this quality of entertainment.
- Watching the Sunrise and Sunset with Your Beloved – Make time for this. It’s worth it.
- The Sound and Sight of Ocean Waves – Another phenomenal act of Mother Nature.
- The ‘Pump’ After a Great Workout – You feel like you can conquer the world.
- The Blissful Act of Daydreaming – Just being… and thinking… and dreaming.
- When She Says “I Love You” – …and you know she means it because you can read the sincerity in her eyes.
- When an Unlikely Someone Remembers Your Birthday – A friend you haven’t seen in over a month calls you at 9AM on your birthday just to say “happy birthday.”
- Finding Something You Thought You’d Lost Forever – You searched for it for days and finally gave up. Now, six months later, it basically appears right in front of you.
- The Inspiration Behind Creative Works of Art – Every piece of art is priceless in the eyes of someone who can relate to it. The creative inspiration behind these works of art is no different.
- When Your Pet Snuggles Up Next to You – It’s just soooo cute.
- A Moment of Eye Contact with an Attractive Stranger – You’ve never seen them before, and you may never see them again. But a moment was shared.
- A Long Hug from a Loved One – Those deep, warm hugs you wish you could nestle in forever.
- Happily Singing at The Top of Your Lungs – Well… You know you make me wanna shout! Kick my heels up and shout! Throw my hands up and shout! Throw my head back and shout! Come on now… Shout!
- Seeing Your Breath on a Chilly Night – A simple phenomenon that has entertained children since the beginning of mankind.
- The Feeling of Acceptance – You’re now a part of something greater… and it feels good.
- Watching the Clouds Form Cool Shapes – Never the same show twice.
- Cuddling a Newborn Baby – Precious… simply precious.
- When You Know You Can Trust Someone – You can see it in their eyes and you can feel it in your heart. They have no ulterior motive.
- Sitting Around a Bonfire with Your Friends – One of the greatest settings for reminiscing and storytelling with those your care about.
- Seeing Two Elderly Folks Who are Madly in Love – It’s a sight of love that has surpassed the tests of time.
- The Beauty of a Moonlit Sky – Few simple pleasures are more satisfying than gazing up into a starry, moonlit sky.
- The Awesomeness of Skipping Rocks Across Water – It doesn’t matter how old you get, this one never gets old.
- Watching Lightning in the Distance – Peaceful and powerful at the same time.
- Slow Dancing in Your Living Room – Dancing is like dreaming with your feet. -Constanze
- Knowing She’ll Be There When You Get Back – Yes. There is stability in your life. And she’s a big part of it.
- Watching Her Sleep – Just being with her and breathing with her.
- The Colors of Fall – It’s Mother Nature’s artwork.
- People Who Make You Smile Just by Thinking of Them – Wherever I am, no matter what I’m doing, just thinking of her makes me smile.
- The Warm Touch of Your Beloved – It’s the touch no one else has.
- When You Realize People Are Reading What You Write – Words can’t explain it. Thank you.
- The Excitement of a New Comment on Your Blog – We love these.
Can you think of anything else money can’t buy? Leave us a comment and let us know about it.
Photo by: Mohammadali