Have you read any of Michael Pollan’s books? The Botany of Desire, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, or the new In Defense of Food? They’re great, and make you think. This is a quick excerpt from The Omnivore’s Dilemma. This list is deceptively easy, – but one that all nascent Bond Grrls should consider putting into practice:
1. Don’t eat anything your grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.
2. Avoid foods containing ingredients you can’t pronounce.
3. Don’t eat anything that wouldn’t eventually rot.
4. Avoid food products that carry health claims.
5. Shop the peripheries of the supermarket; stay out of the middle.
6. Better yet, buy food somewhere else: the farmer’s market or CSA.
7. Pay more, eat less.
8. Eat a wide diversity of species/foods.
9. If you eat animals, eat animals that eat grass, plankton, or what’s natural for them.
10. Cook and, if you can, Grow some of your own food.
11. Eat meals. Eat them only at tables.
12. Eat deliberately, with other people whenever possible, and always with pleasure.
Amen to that! Have a great weekend!